WILDLIFE FERTILITY CONTROL IN THE NEWS
Philadelphia Magazine discusses the complicated issue of deer management and human-deer conflict, particularly in Philadelphia, Pa. Although sharpshooting and sport hunters are implemented for management, locals have raised concerns over safety and other issues.
The Sierra Nevada Ally reports on the Senate Joint Resolution 3, which would urge Congress to provide short-term & long-term funding to reduce the horse and burro populations in Nevada.
WHY CONTROLLING DEER IS SUCH A BEAR
The Wall Street Journal reports that the topic of deer management is particularly contentious in Fire Island, NY, where there is a history of fertility control use and, recently, a professional sharpshooting program. The WSJ explains the complicating factor of humans.
INVASION OF THE HIPPOS: COLOMBIA IS RUNNING OUT OF TIME TO TACKLE PABLO ESCOBAR’S WILDEST LEGACY
The Washington Post reports on efforts to control the population growth of the hippos smuggled into Colombia by drug kingpin Pablo Escobar.
PROGRAM MANAGING WILD HORSE POPULATION
An article in The Fountain Hills Times reports that the all-volunteer fertility control program for the Salt River wild horses has reduced the number of foals born from more than 100 in 2019 to just 16 in 2020. The program is a cooperation between the federal government (USFS), the Arizona state government (AZDA) and the Salt River Wild Horse Management Group (SRWHMG).
According to Deseret News an intense program in Nevada involving wild horses could help refine the science of fertility control in additional wild horse populations as well other species like elephants in Africa.
DEER CONTRACEPTIVE PROGRAM IN OAK BAY DEEMED SUCCESSFUL, BUT CHALLENGES REMAIN FOR CRD
British Colombia’s CHEK News reports that the deer contraceptive program in Oak Bay has been a success.
WILD HORSE PODCAST SERIES
Wildish is a six-part podcast series that discusses the wild horse management dilemma in the Western United States. Interviewees include both activists and government officials.
PIGEON BIRTH CONTROL PROGRAM EXPANDED TO EIGHT SKYTRAIN STATIONS
The Daily Hive reported that TransLink is now using OvoControl to decrease the pigeon population at eight stations in the Vancouver region.
SALT RIVER’S WILD HORSES THRIVE WITH THE HELP OF LOVING VOLUNTEERS Arizona NBC News12 reports that the Salt River Wild Horse Management Group, with oversight from the Arizona Department of Agriculture, has been able to begin a breeding system that includes safe and effective birth control for the females in the herd.
According to The Journal.com the BLM finalized a new plan for managing wild horses in Spring Creek Basin in southwest Colorado that builds upon current fertility control practices.
RICHMOND HEIGHTS COUNCIL SEEKS BEST WAY TO REDUCE CITY’S DEER POPULATION
Cleveland.com reported that several communities in Cleveland Ohio are considering fertility control to manage growing deer populations.
SOUTH EUCLID EXAMINES STERILIZATION AS MEANS TO CONTROL DEAR POPULATION
Cleveland.com reports the South Euclid, Ohio City Council is looking into a multi-faceted approach to limiting the area’s deer population that includes a sterilization program.
TITUS AMENDMENT DIRECTS $11 MILLION TO WILD HORSE BIRTH CONTROL PROGRAM
The Nevada Current reports that the House of Representatives has approved $102.6 million for the Bureau of Land Management’s Wild Horse and Burro Program, a portion of which will be spent on implementing a humane fertility control vaccine used to manage wild horse populations.
IT’S NOT TOO LATE: GOVERNMENT LOOKS FOR SOLUTION TO GROWING WILD HORSE POPULATION IN AMERICA WEST
ABC News’ Chief Meteorologist Ginger Zee reports on the thousands of wild horses roaming free in the western U.S., and what the government and activists say needs to happen.
According to ABC7NY Staten Island’s deer population has decreased 24% since 2017. An 84% decrease in births is connected to the number of deer that have been sterilized.
The Humane Society of the United States calls on the BLM to focus on “safe, proven and humane fertility control” for wild horses and burros instead of large-scale gathers.
According to The Maui News birth control is being used to control infestations of little fire ants in Hawaii. A non-toxic bait is being sprayed from helicopters to stop ants from reproducing.
I-TEAM: EXAMINING METHODS TO CONTROL WILD HORSE POPULATION
CBS affiliate KLAS TV Channel 8 reported on the success of a wild horse fertility control program, which is a partnership between the American Wild Horse Campaign and the Nevada Department of Agriculture on the Virginia Range.
WYOMING WOMAN HELPS WILD HORSES IN 25TH YEAR AS A VOLUNTEER, EVEN AMID COVID-19
“Little old ladies need to stay busy and what better way than helping out wild horses?,” said 82 year old Ada Inbody. The Oil City News reports on Ada and her 25 years as a volunteer.
- AT LEAST SEVEN MORE FOALS EXPECTED ON ASSATEAGUE THIS YEAR
- VOLUNTEERS WORK TO REDUCE WILD HORSE POPULATION
- BIRTH CONTROL PILLS FOR ZIM ELEPHANTS
- BLM TO TEST FERTILITY VACCINE AS A WAY TO MANAGE WILD HORSE
- A MUSTANG CRISIS LOOMS IN THE WEST
- PROTECTING THEIR FREEDOM: ‘THE MUSTANGS: AMERICA’S WILD HORSES’ TO PREMIERE AT SANTA BARBARA INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL
- PLANS TO PUT GREY SQUIRRELS ON THE PILL TO STOP THEM DAMAGING BRISTOL’S TREES
- TAMING AN AMERICAN ICON: A PLAN TO CURB WILD HORSES, AND SAVE THE WEST
- FLORIDA WILDLIFE OFFICIALS LOOK TO ADDRESS BEAR POPULATION WITHOUT HUNTING
- CONTROVERSIAL PLAN TO FIX WILD-HORSE PROBLEM HAS D.C. BACKING
- DEER DECKED OUT FOR COLOURFUL CONTRACEPTION CAMPAIGN
- INSTEAD OF KILLING PRAIRIE DOGS, RESEARCHERS CONSIDER BIRTH CONTROL
- CITY GRAPPLES OVER GROWING DEER POPULATION
- FOR WILD HORSES ACCUSTOMED TO HUMANS, FERTILITY CONTROL CAN WORK
- SENATORS URGE BLM TO ABANDON PLAN TO SPAY MUSTANG MARES
- DEER DILEMMA FORUM: LETHAL VS. NON-LETHAL OPTIONS DISCUSSED
- OVOCONTROL P NOW AVAILABLE IN MEXICO
- FARMERS COME UP WITH INNOVATIVE SOLUTIONS TO MONKEY MENACE
- BIRTH CONTROL FOR KOALAS? HORMONE IMPLANT SET TO CONTROL BOOMING NUMBERS IN PARTS OF ADELAIDE
- INDIA’S MONKEYS KEEP KILLING PEOPLE, SO SCIENTISTS ARE TRYING RADICAL NEW STERILISATION STRATEGIES
- STATEN ISLAND’S DEER POPULATION DOWN 15% SINCE 2017, CITY SAYS
- PROPOSAL OFFERS BRIGHTER FUTURE FOR WILD HORSES AND BURROS
- AG DEPT. AND HORSE CAMPAIGN SIGN DEAL FOR HORSE BIRTH CONTROL
- CONTROL ELEPHANT POPULATION: FORMER WII DEAN
- AS HONG KONG GROWS, LOCALS CONTEND WITH A BIG FAT HAIRY WILDLIFE PROBLEM
- B.C.’S SOLUTION TO TACKLING THE PIGEON PROBLEM ON SKYTRAIN? BIRTH CONTROL
- ESQUIMALT COUNCILLOR CALLS FOR DEER BIRTH-CONTROL PROGRAM
- OAK BAY DEER COUNTED, SETTING STAGE FOR BIRTH CONTROL
- HEAD OF THE HARBOR TO TEST NEW TECH TO HELP MANAGE DEER POPULATION
- MONKEYS TERRORISE VILLAGE, RESIDENTS MULL BIRTH CONTROL PILLS
- KARNATAKA ZOOS TO HOST PROJECT ON ANIMAL POPULATION MANAGEMENT
- DONKEY REFUGE WHERE BURROS BECOME COYOTE-KICKING LIVESTOCK GUARDIANS
- LOOKING FOR THE MAGIC FIX TO CONTROL ELK
- NOVEL STUDY SHOWS PROMISE FOR MANAGING WILD HORSE POPULATIONS
- MANAGING MONKEYS IN THAILAND
- ContraPest® INTRODUCED IN THE STATE OF HAWAI’I
- SOUTHERN AFRICA HAS TOO MANY ELEPHANTS AND LIONS. IS CONTRACEPTION THE ANSWER?
- VILLAGE SHARES DATA ON DEER CONTROL EFFORT
- STATE ALLOWS ACTIVIST GROUP TO HELP MANAGE SALT RIVER WILD HORSES
- HERE’S WHY MONKEY MENACE IS NEEDLING DELHI
- BIRTH CONTROL FOR PROBLEM ANIMALS: WHICH DRUG, HOW TO ADMINISTER IT
- PILOT PROJECT IN WASHINGTON, DC PUTS MALL RATS ON BIRTH CONTROL
- A COUNTRY BURSTING WITH PEOPLE WANTS TO CONTROL ITS ANIMAL POPULATION
- WORKSHOP STRESSES ON BIRTH CONTROL OF WILD ELEPHANTS
- BIRTH CONTROL FOR WILD HORSES IS THE OBVIOUS ALTERNATIVE TO MASS KILLING